Thursday, January 9, 2014

Daily Thoughts 01/09/2014

Marinus Van Reymerswale, The Tax Collectors, 1540s.

Daily Thoughts 01/09/2014

This morning, I have been reading more of Strategy A History.  The book is very much an overview.  I am reading about current events and wars right now.

This morning, I checked the Facebook and Twitter for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  I do this every day I am at work.  I also spent a little time working on programming.  This can be a real challenge for me.  I am working on setting up a film program for the movie Prince Among Slaves for February 18, 2014.

I spent a little time going over patron requests and preparing ordering carts for next week in Ingram.

The Computer Lab was open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.  There were also two computer classes in the lab, Beginning Internet from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Beginning Email from 6:45 p.m. to 7:45 p.m..

An article in the Mount Vernon Daily Voice which mentions the cuts to the library-- $550,000 and the increase in taxes. Mount Vernon's Proposed Budget Would Boost Tax Rates 7.78%
http://mountvernon.dailyvoice.com/news/mount-vernon-mayors-proposed-budget-would-boost-tax-rate-778-percent


Another article on the city budget. Mount Vernon's 2014 Budget is Late Amid 'Toxic Situation' Among City Leaders. http://www.lohud.com/article/20140109/NEWS/301090060/Mount-Vernon-s-2014-budget-late-amid-toxic-situation-among-city-leaders

I got my free VIP pass to Book Expo America today for May 29, 2014 to May 31, 2014.  I always like free things.

On the way home, I read Hip Hop Family Tree 1970-1981 by Ed Piskor.  It is mainly set in the Bronx where Hip Hop originated.  Ed Piskor's style of drawing is very funky.  It has a feel a little bit like superhero comics from the 1980s.  He even does a comparison between hip hop and comics in the back of the book.   He also has a discography which mentions all the different records from the groups in the book.  The story is one of money, music, and parties.  It is also a story of how gangs changed their focus from drugs and violence to a more lucrative trade, music.

This graphic novel covers the early story of hip hop.  The drawings of the different people are entertaining, often over the top.  The way Russell Simmons is portrayed is hilarious.  My favorite part of the book is the story of the rap group the Sugar Hill Gang who created a record label.   People are fighting, smoking, drinking, singing, rapping, and tinkering with sound equipment. There is some interesting material on tagging or graffiti.  The graphic novel describes how hip hop moved into the mainstream with MTV and Deborah Harry of the music group Blondie.

I enjoyed reading this book,  I am looking forward to the second book which covers from 1981-1983.  The graphic novel was originally serialized on Boing Boing.  http://boingboing.net/tag/hip-hop-family-tree


Web Bits


Books That Shaped Work In America
http://www.dol.gov/100/books-shaped-work/

What Is a Library?
http://narrative.ly/long-live-the-book/what-is-a-library/

e-books and profitability-- What we've always said and publishers have always denied.
http://aardvarknow.us/2013/06/04/e-books-and-profitability-what-weve-always-said-and-publishers-have-always-denied/ 

No comments: