Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Daily Thoughts 04/15/2014

A Philosopher, Jusepe De Ribera, 1637

Daily Thoughts 04/15/2014

I finished reading Smarter The New Science of Building Brain Power by Dan Hurley.  The author describes how there are very mixed results for improving intelligence, however, memory and attention can be improved for specific tasks and activities.  I read about a concept called the Flynn effect, or how the average intelligence quotient has been steadily rising for the last 100 years.  This says that when social, nutritional, and educational opportunity change, people become measurably smarter.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.  We had a staff meeting this morning.  We discussed the vote, customer service, and strategic planning.  I am going to be on the strategic planning committee.

I checked out the new Terry Pratchett book, Raising Steam.

I signed up for Lynda.com again so I can do a little more online training.  I have some time off this week.

I spent some time reading the latest copy of Publishers Weekly.

It is the last chance if you want to sign up to be a library trustee at the Mount Vernon Public Library.
http://www.mountvernonpubliclibrary.org/become-trustee

The board of Trustees of the Mount Vernon Public Library is meeting tomorrow on April 16, 2014 at 6:30 p.m.

On the way home, I read a little dark humor, The Coffee Table Book of Doom by Steven Appleby and Art Lester.  It is an illustrated guide to all the different ways the world can end.  It covers everything from nuclear winter to grey goo to climate change.  It was worth a little morose humor.  It helped me with the stress I have been feeling.

I am glad I have several days off to read and relax.

Web Bits

Librarians in Uniform
http://archives.library.illinois.edu/ala/wwi-librarian-uniforms/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=wwi-librarian-uniforms

No comments: