Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Daily Thoughts 07/08/2014

Still Life With Skull Candle and Book, Paul Cezanne, 1866

Daily Thoughts 07/08/2014

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

On the way to work, I started reading Smart Machines.  The authors are describing how computers will be used more collaboratively with people focusing on both big data and parallel processing.

I also read a little more of the Zero Marginal Cost Society.  I am reading about physical aspects of the commons.  Things like property easements which limit how land can be used and ideas about how the world is increasingly interconnected in a biosphere.

This morning, I spent some time working on a new survey for the library as part of the planning committee.  I also have a bit of work to do with the poetry grant.

I spent a little time ordering e-books for Overdrive Advantage with a colleague.  We try and order material that people already have reserves on.

I read a bit more of Smart Machines IBM's Watson and the Era of Cognitive Computing.  The authors John K. Kelly III and Steve Hamm both work for IBM.  I am reading about how the artificial intelligence Watson defeated the Jeopardy champion in 2011.


Web Bits

Shelving to Save a Books Life
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/07/how-shelving-can-save-the-life-of-a-book/373164/

The Growing Dangers of Technological Unemployment and the Re-Skilling of America
http://www.futuristspeaker.com/2014/07/the-growing-dangers-of-technological-unemployment-and-the-re-skilling-of-america/

No comments: