Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Daily Thoughts 07/09/2014

Traditionalist Still Life, 1916, Iosif Iser

Daily Thoughts 07/09/2014

On the way to work I read a little more of Smart Machines.  The authors are describing a convergence where big data is combining with analytics to track information through the internet of things using artificial intelligence.  This will bring about some interesting new ways to predict events like traffic jams, landslides, flooding, weather patterns, and other events.

I also read a little more of  The Zero Marginal Cost Society.  Jeremy Rifkin is describing how cooperatives are becoming more prevalent for telecommunications, alternative energy, and logistics.

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I also checked the gift books and the displays.  I ordered a copy of Writing Successful Technology Grant Proposals: A LITA Guide by Pamela H. MacKellar.

I read through the August Advance for Ingram and put the book, Strength Training for Fat Loss by Nick Tumminello on hold.  I have been seeing a nutritionist and she suggested I change from lifting heavier weights to a lighter workout which burns more fat.

I also spent some time working with the oversize books.

I spent some time in computer lab which is open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.  There is a Microsoft Word class tonight focused on Graphics from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

On the way home, I read some more of The Zero Marginal Cost Society.  I am reading about the concept of having a parallel sharing economy to the regular economy.  This is manifested in car sharing services like Zipcar where access is more important than ownership, Freecycle where put people put out things which people no longer need and Airbnb which allows people to rent rooms on short term.  The sharing economy also manifests itself in places like Kickstarter where people can get funding for creative or H.R. 2930 Text of the Entrepreneur Access to Capital Act which allows crowdfunding to start new businesses.  https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr2930/text

Web Bits


Lego Stories  Your New Favorite Tumblr

Library of Congress Pinterest Board

No comments: