Thursday, August 7, 2014

Daily Thoughts 08/07/2014

Man Writing A Letter, Gabriel Metsu, 1664-1666

Daily Thoughts 08/07/2014

On the way to work, I read some more of  I Forgot to Remember.  Su Meck describes how as her kids grew up she relearned how to do everything from her ABC's to numbers to writing.  The book describes the process of relearning everything from how to make a sandwich to how to raise your children.

I also read a little bit more of Cod by Mark Kurlansky.  Apparently, the Basque were fishing for cod off the shores of America before Columbus discovered it.  Many of the chapters end with a historic recipe.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.   I also checked the displays and the gift books.  The book, Wired for Story The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence by Lisa Cron came in for me to read.

I did a little bit of work with the oversized books.  I ordered some books on stained glass to replace some of the damaged copies.

I also spent some time organizing the September and October schedules for computer classes.  People want classes on how to use the Ipad and Iphone as well as Microsoft Excel and Gmail.  I like to think that I am focusing on concepts like digital literacy http://www.digitalliteracy.gov  and the digital divide.

The book Marina A Gothic Tale by Carlos Ruiz Zafon came in for me to read.  It is a young adult novel.


Web Bits

AI, Robotics, and The Future of Jobs
http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/08/06/future-of-jobs/
My view is that people decide what kind of employment is available.  Social choices ultimately will be the determiner of jobs, not just automation.

At Leisure With Joyce Saricks: In Praise of Browsing
http://www.booklistonline.com/ProductInfo.aspx?pid=6877986&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
Displays are good.  They increase circulation.

No comments: