Friday, August 8, 2014

Daily Thoughts 08/08/2014

Poster of book exhibition, by Vladimir Taburin, 1910
Daily Thoughts 08/08/2014

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I finished reading I Forgot to Remember A Memoir of Amnesia by Su Meck last night on the way home.  The book described a very challenging and difficult situation.  It also was very revealing about the writers life, especially towards the end with her husbands infidelity.  I found the last part where Su Meck goes to college inspiring.  It was well worth reading.  I read a little more of Cod this morning as well.  The book is very clean and noncontroversial this makes it a good crossover title for teen nonfiction.  Right now, I am reading about how salted cod was sold as cheap protein to feed slaves in the Caribbean.  Salted cod was traded for molasses which was used to make rum.

I checked the displays and gift books this morning.  I started working on the section on Africa this morning.  I am ordering some new replacement material for some of the older books.  I also removed the old GED books.  The test has been changed and given a new name in New York, TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion.)  The first staff training session on Gmail is from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. today.

I have a copy of Library Journal and the Ingram Advance to read today.

I had the first official meeting of the Collection Development and Electronic Resources department.  We discussed our jobs and different responsibilities from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.

I registered as part of the Adult Summer Reading Program.  The library is giving away small tote bags to people who register for Adult Summer Reading and read five books.  They have the sentence KEEP CALM AND READ ON! on them.

On the way home, I read some more of Cod by Mark Kurlansky.  Mark Kurlansky is describing the dwindling amount of fish caught by fisheries.  As the technology advances from schooners to diesel powered fishing trawlers with bottom dragging nets, the supply of cod dwindles with more and more competition for fish.  The boundaries for fishing change as well, from ten miles off the coast of a country to the current 200 miles off the coast of the country.  It is an interesting story.

Web Bits

The Public Library Wants To Be Your Office
http://www.fastcompany.com/3034143/the-public-library-wants-to-be-your-office

No comments: