Monday, August 11, 2014

Daily Thoughts 08/11/2014

Interior with poppies and reading woman (Lizzy Hohlenberg), 1905

Daily Thoughts 08/11/2014

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook pages.  I checked the gift books and the displays.  I spent some time ordering books today.  I also read through the latest Ingram Advance.  One of our part-time clerks likes Amish romances, I ordered a few books by Beverly Lewis and Cindy Woodsmall.  There were a few titles that caught my attention Renegade Amish: Beard Cutting, Hate Crimes, and the Trial of the Bergholz Brothers by Donald B. Kraybill and The Marshmallow Test Mastering Self-Control by Walter Mischel.

I spent some time working with the books on Africa, I am updating the collection with newer material on Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, and North Africa.

I started reading Wired for Story, The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence by Lisa Cron.  Lisa Cron describes how we make sense of the world through stories and generally prefer to hear fictional accounts over true stories.  Every story is focused on a character and how they change over time.

Web Bits

Unpopular Books Flying off Branch Libraries' Shelves
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/08/07/bpl-push-reduce-books-community-branches-stirs-complaints/Hx9dCXFaUBv91yIr9gVkxO/story.html?event=event25

No comments: