Friday, September 5, 2014

Daily Thoughts 09/05/2014


Francis Barraud, Les pervenches, 1929

Daily Thoughts 09/05/2014

I read some of the book, Supersurvivors last night.  It is about the difference between positive thinking under duress or an atttitude of self confidence combined with a methodical realistic plan for improving your condition. Self confidence wins.  We get to learn about a man who goes blind then rows across the Atlantic ocean, a stunt man with one leg, and a person who becomes a successful electric violinist.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.  I also checked the displays and put up a few posters on censorship for banned book week.  I also checked the gift books.

We had a management meeting.  I have a number of reports I am working on including a departmental description, a summary of Adult Summer Reading Statistics, and the services survey.

After the management meeting, we had some staff training on Excel.  We learned a bit about how to organize tables.

I checked out the book, The Warmth of Other Suns in preparation for the book club on September 23, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.  I also spent some time going through a donation of African American nonfiction titles to see which ones we already had.  We have quite a few gift books to add.

Web Bits

The Fight for Miami's Libraries
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christian-zabriskie/the-fight-for-miamis-libr_b_5770624.html

Neil Gaiman Makes All the Book Clubs Swoon
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/09/neil-gaiman-makes-all-the-book-clubs-swoon/



No comments: