Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Daily Thoughts 10/08/2014

Stamps of the German Republic (DDR) 1987, Harry Scheuner, nach zwei Radierungen aus den Leipziger Meßscenen von Christian Gottfried Heinrich Geißler (1770–1844) - 

Daily Thoughts 10/08/2014

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I finished reading Real Happiness at Work by Sharon Salzberg.  Sharon Salzberg describes how being open, polite, and considerate can be helpful in your job environment.  She reminds us that we spend more time on the job than anywhere else.  This book is useful for people who might need to understand how to be more considerate to their coworkers, pay better attention, and maintain a sense of integrity.

I read a bit more of Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini.  I am reading about Abraham Lincoln's assassination.

I also have been watching Baseball A Film By Ken Burns.  I am watching the story of Babe Ruth.

I spent some time cleaning my computer today.  My subscription to McAfee ran out.  I downloaded the free version of AVG today.  I also went through my control panel and uninstalled some suspect programs like Zombie Invasion which did not belong.  In addition there are free versions of Spybot Search and Destroy which removes some spyware from computers as well as Malwarebytes which removes malware for home use.

I went to Barnes and Noble today and looked at books.  There were a few things that seemed interesting.  I liked the Jessica Fletcher cover for Murder She Wrote Close Up on Murder by Jessica Fletcher and Donald Bain.  I also liked the book Infographics for Dummies.  One of our patrons had asked for the book, Mario Lopez Just Between Us.  I also got to see the new DC style of comics with Batman Dark Knight. This is part of the New 52 style which is just coming out.  A patron asked for it. Another book which caught my eye was Growing Up Social by Gary Chapman.  Gary Chapman wrote the popular self help title, The 5 Love Languages.  I bought two paperbacks to read, Jack Campbell The Lost Stars Perilous Shield which is military science fiction and Burdens of the Dead by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint, and Dave Freer which is fantasy.  I always write a down a few titles that look interesting when I visit bookstores.

Web Bits


Nook and Overdrive Partner to Provide Digital Magazines and Newspapers to Libraries

Opening of Columbia's First Big Comics Exhibition to Draw Big Names
http://columbiaspectator.com/arts-and-entertainment/2014/10/06/opening-columbias-first-comics-exhibition-draw-big-names
The Butler library has a large comics collection.


No comments: