Friday, November 7, 2014

Daily Thoughts 11/07/2014

Sir Lawrence Alma Tadema, 94 Degrees In the Shade, 1876

Daily Thoughts 11/07/2014

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I finished reading Bathing the Lion by Jonathan Carroll last night.  I enjoyed it.  It had a lot of odd content to it.  There are nice touches of magical realism, surrealism, odd alien things, a conflict between chaos and order, and a reminder that there are wondrously strange things at the edges of our reality.  My two favorite characters in the book were the two dogs, D Train and Kos.  They had a minor, but very upbeat role.

Today and tomorrow is the Friends of the Mount Vernon Public Library Book and Bake Sale.  I always get a cup of coffee, buy a treat, and a few books.

I have been spending some more time working on the oversize books.  I stopped by the book sale and had a cup of coffee and two cookies and looked through the books.  I picked out a few donated African American books to be added to the collection.

I spent some time talking about procedures with a new person who is working in the computer lab.

I checked out the books, Blue Horses Poems by Mary Oliver, The Rise of Isis A Threat We Can't Ignore by Jay Sekulow, and The Book of Forgiving by Desmond Tutu and Mpho Tutu.  I've had a few people tell me that The Book of Forgiving was something they were reading for their book club.

Also, there was a recommendation for the book, Whipping Boy The Forty Year Search for My Twelve Year Old Bully by Allen Kurzweil.

I spent some time reading through copies of Publishers Weekly and Booklist.  The book, The Triangle a Year on the Ground with New York's Bloods and Crips by Kevin Deutsch looked interesting.

I have a copy of the Ingram Advance to look through for December.

I read The Rise of Isis A Threat We Can't Ignore by Jay Sekulow on the way home.  It was a short book.  The first half was about ISIS.  It helped me understand what the organization was about.  However, the second half was about Hamas which was not what I was interested in.  The author also focused on Israel.  I was hoping for a book about Iraq and Syria.  About half of the book was relevant, the other half was about Palestinian and Israeli politics.  I was hoping there would have been more on the Kurds than the Israelis.  The reader gets about 45 pages of relevance out of a 97 page book.

Web Bits

That Used Book Store is Actually Friends of Aurora Public Library
http://www.denverpost.com/aurora/ci_26863956/that-used-book-store-is-actually-friends-aurora

No comments: