Monday, November 10, 2014

Daily Thoughts 11/10/2014

Young Woman in a Landscape, Pierre Auguste-Renoir, 1915-1919

Daily Thoughts 11/10/2014

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I also spent some time looking at new books online.   In addition, I spent some time looking at library statistics.  I am thinking of how the library can do more outreach for local programming.

I also went to Barnes and Noble today.  There were a few interesting titles like Rainbow In the Cloud, the Wisdom and Spirit of Maya Angelou  and All The Truth Is Out The Week Politics Went Tabloid by Matt Bai.  I bought a paperback fantasy novel, Appalachian Overthrow A Novel of Vampire Earth by E.E. Knight.

I read Appalachian Overthrow A Novel of Vampire Earth.  The first part of the book is the story of Ahn-Ka, a large hairy intelligent creature called a golden Grog.   He is captured and made to be a bodyguard of a human overseer for the Kurian overlords.  It changes to a classic storyline where Ahn-Ka is then sold to work in the mines and eventually starts a rebellion against the vampire overlords.

I enjoyed reading the story.  It has elements of an earth thrown into a dark age, a decline of civilization, and elements of horror with vampires and other beasts.  I rather like the side of the story where humans become collaborators.  It is very compelling.

The action was well done.  The fighting is well described with some strategy thrown in.  It is clear that the main character is not human.  The book has a touch of a memoir style to it with a fantasy appendix describing the book in historical context.

Web Bits



Library Gets Digital Literacy Classes

No comments: