Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Daily Thoughts 11/19/2014


Allegory of Poetry and Music, Angelica Kauffman, 1782

Daily Thoughts 11/19/2014

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.

I have been reading more of The Glass Cage.  Nicholas Carr is describing how automation and computers have simplified architecture in some ways and removed complex hand drawings.  He views this as removing some skills from a profession.

I did a little checking of missing items that have holds.  I also spent some time today talking about the survey and programming with the Friends of the Mount Vernon Public Library.

The graphic novel, In Real Life by Cory Doctorow and Jen Wang has come in for me to read.

There is a Student Recital for the Mount Vernon Poetry Workshop tonight from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m..  I have to help setup for the program. I went and got refreshments for the program.  It was the final piece of the Mount Vernon Poetry Workshop.  I enjoyed hearing people recite.  Arts Westchester was at the program.

There was also an Intermediate Excel computer class from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the computer lab.

The Mount Vernon Public Library Board of Trustees met tonight as well.

I finished reading the graphic novel In Real Life. It was a quick, enjoyable read.  I liked how the game was drawn, the artistic style had Chinese motifs and symbols in it.   Also, the parents fear that their child was spending too much time on the internet was well done.  The writing was very clear and had a moral to it.  I like Cory Doctorow's writing.

I also read a bit more of The Glass Cage on my way home.  I am reading about the idea of human centered computing, ergonomics, and adaptive automation.  These are all ways to make humans the center of progress rather than technology. Nicholas Carr makes an argument that progress is about improving human society, not just making advances in how technology works.

Web Bits

Starred Reviews from 2014 for Adult Books Publishers Weekly
http://www.digitalpw.com/digitalpw/BestBooks2014#pg1



The Difference Between Search and Inquiry

This Map Shows the Most Famous Book Set In Every State

Why Going to the Library is One of the Best Things I Do for My Kids and the Planet




No comments: