Thursday, January 29, 2015

Daily Thoughts 01/29/2015

Russians Reading and Writing, 1861, Utagawa Yoshikazu

Daily Thoughts 01/29/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.

On the way to work, I read some more of The World of Raymond Chandler.  I liked his hard boiled descriptions of Los Angeles.  They appeal to me because of my strong dislike of Los Angeles and Hollywood. I also really like the pictures with Lauren Bacall, Humphrey Bogart, Howard Hawks, Veronica Lake, and others.  The quotes from Raymond Chandler's correspondence make the book excellent as well.

I checked the displays and the gift books.  A colleague is working on a display for African American films for February.

I talked to Gale about two ebook collections, a collection on jobs and careers, and a collection on travel books.  I also asked about Career Online High School which is a program from Gale that is a certified online high school.  http://www.careeronlinehs.gale.com/the-program/

I also had a chance to start evaluating the Consumer Technology Library from Proquest which is a collection of computer related e-books.

Westchester Library System recently purchased a new set of databases and online learning tools for us to use, Flipster which is a magazine database which currently has a subscription to 12 popular electronic magazines, Novelist which is a readers advisory tool, Lynda.com which is an online video learning service, and Fashion University which is a collection of material to learn sewing and fashion.

I spent some time working with the oversize 600s.

There is a Beginning Microsoft Excel computer class in the computer lab from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.


No comments: