Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Daily Thoughts 03/18/2015


Walter T. Crane, Laura Reading, 1885

Daily Thoughts 03/18/2015

This morning, I finished reading Messages The Communication Skills Book, 3rd Edition.  It is a solid general overview of different communication issues from public speaking to communicating with your family to basic listening.  I found it to be a useful book that was worth reading.

I have started reading The Occupiers The Making of the 99 Percent Movement by Michael A. Gould Wartofsky.  It is a first person account by a participant to the movement.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.

I am working on what classes we may be offering going forward.

Next month, April is National Poetry month.  Audre Lord worked at the Mount Vernon Public Library from 1961 to 1963.  National Poem in Your Pocket Day is on April 30, 2015.  We are also having a poetry slam on April 16 and April 30 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.  I have quite a bit to plan.

The Adult Summer Reading theme this year is Escape the Ordinary.  It has a superhero theme.

I ordered the free poster for National Poetry Month from poets.org
http://www.poets.org/national-poetry-month/form/poster-request-form

I checked out the book, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. I also checked out How to Find Wealth and Success by Developing the Skills Companies Actually Need by Nicholas Wyman.

I have a copy of April's Ingram Advance to read as well as a section called Ingram Advance Business Connections to look at.

I read some of How to Find Wealth and Success by Developing the Skills Companies Actually Need.  It is an argument for more trade and technical schools as well as additional certificates for people to get continuing education.  It argues against the notion that everyone should go to college.  There should be more diversity of skills and the trades should be better respected.

Web Bits

Public Libraries and Hispanics
http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/03/17/public-libraries-and-hispanics/

Zimbabwe: Libraries A Must In Every Society
http://allafrica.com/stories/201503181308.html

No comments: