Monday, May 18, 2015

Daily Thoughts 05/18/2015

Suzuki Harunobu, Circa 1750

Daily Thoughts 05/18/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.



On the way to work, I read some more of Rise of the Robots.  I am reading about the financialization of the economy.  Finance is becoming increasingly effective because of information technology.  This allows for the creation of new ways to trade stocks like high frequency trading.  It also eliminates many traders and analysts in the financial industry with algorithms.  This concentrates wealth because there are less traders and more ways to change the market.

I checked the gift books and the displays.  I also worked with a colleague for a little bit on a grant.

I spent some time checking the 100-199 section of books.

I read the latest copy of the New York Times Book Review.

I spent some time looking at promotional material for summer reading.

On the way home, I read some more of Rise of the Robots.  I am reading about the process of first sending jobs offshore, then replacing the jobs with automation.  Approximately 50% of jobs in the United States can be replaced by automation.  Approximately 25% of jobs in the United States can be sent offshore.  Where the two overlap is not clear.  What it says is that increasingly jobs done by people will be done by machines instead.


Web Bits

Boost City Funding for New York's Public Libraries

Library of Things Shapes Dialogue on Library Collections

No comments: