Monday, August 24, 2015

Daily Thoughts 08/24/2015

Paul Alexis Reading at Zola's House - Paul Cezanne
Reading at Zola's House, Paul Cezanne, 1870

Daily Thoughts 08/24/2015

On the way to work, I read some more of Land of the Silver Apples.  The story occurs in our world as well as Fairyland and Elfland.  Fairyland is described as mischievious with strange creatures.  Elfland is a land of illusion where nothing is at seems, it is deceptively beautiful.  The main characters sister has been kidnapped by elves in this story.

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I also checked the displays and the gift books.  The Adult Summer Reading program ended on August 20, 2015 while I was on vacation.

I spent some time working on orders for material for both books and some dvds.  I looked through the purchase alerts this morning.  I have a very large stack of magazines to go through for ordering including Publishers Weekly, Booklist, The new York Times Book Review, the Times Literary Supplement, the Ingram Advance and the Baker and Taylor Forecast.

I placed the book, The End of All Things by John Scalzi on hold this morning.

Dr. John Howard is doing a program today on the artist Jacob Lawrence today from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

We are also having two computer classes, a Fundamentals of Computers Class from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., and a Beginning Microsoft Word class from 6:45 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.

I finished reading The Land of the Silver Apples by Nancy Farmer on the way home.  It is an excellent story most of all.  It makes me want to read the sequel, The Island of the Blessed.   Nancy Farmer even includes an appendix with the meanings of Pictish symbols and a bibliography of books on mythology.  The book is a very well researched piece of fantasy.

I also started reading Zero World by Jason M. Hough which is science fiction.  Jason M. Hough has a background in game design and 3D art.  I think helps create an excellent setting for his novel.

Web Bits 

Coloring Book Clubs Cross Line Into Libraries
http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/blogs/the-scoop/coloring-book-clubs-cross-the-line-into-libraries/
































































No comments: